Bulk Krill Oil; what to ask suppliers about quality and price

Buying bulk krill oil and making (tolling) your own capsules is not for the faint of heart. It’s not an easy product and a lot of things can go wrong. Most krill oil resellers therefor prefer to buy bulk krill oil capsules, and leave the encapsulation headaches to the krill oil suppliers.  You find a more general due diligence krill oil buying white paper here.

When engaging with bulk krill oil suppliers, you may want to consider the following check list for your due diligence.

  • Krill oil is special compared with fish oil, because bulk krill oil contains at least 40% phospholipids. Fish oil has no phospholipids. Phospholipids will give krill oil the benefits for which it is so known. The other 60% in the krill oil is either in triglyceride or free fatty acid form. The triglycerides in krill oil are nothing special, and without the phospholipids, krill oil would be nothing more than an inferior fish oil. So phospholipid content is critical when you determine quality, and should not be less than 40%.
  • Krill oil requires special handling because of the phospholipids. As a general rule, krill oil cannot be exposed to air, because oxidation will start kicking in quickly. Manufacturing of krill oil capsules must happen under a nitrogen blanket. If you do not know what this is, then read no further and go to our krill oil capsule page.
  • Minimum order quantity is typically 150 kg to 200 kg depending on the krill oil supplier. They don’t like to break up a barrel, because of the oxidation risk.
  • There are few encapsulators who can do an ok to good job on encapsulation. If you contract with one of them, always ask how they will handle leakers, and you should allow at least 20% in your COGS calculation for this risk.
  • Purchasing bulk oil makes only sense if you order at least one million capsules; encapsulators will not run a line for smaller quantities, because of set-up and cleaning costs. For smaller quantities it’s better to consider bulk capsules.
  • When you calculate COGS, also allow up to 5% for overfilling (under-filling is not an option with the FTC looking over your shoulder).
  • Bulk krill oil does not blend well. Few common blends are krill oil vitamin d, or krill oil with extra esterified astaxanthin.
  • Blending with powders is not an option.
  • Azantis Inc, has a water dissolved bulk liquid krill oil with a 5% concentration. This liquid krill oil product is designed to blend with juices, one shot vitamin drinks and the like.
  • All krill oil is derived from krill sustainably harvested under the supervision of the international treaty organization CCAMLR (Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources).
  • Cheap krill oil does not exist. If you are price sensitive, consider fish oil instead. There’s no such thing as a bulk krill oil sale.

Continue reading about bulk krill oil capsules.

October 7th, 2010  in Uncategorized No Comments »

Comments are closed.